My friend of the month for October is my dear friend Joy D. I have known Joy since I think the 5th grade. I have too many memories of Joy that it is hard to narrow them all down. I remember my mom telling me about this girl named Joy that lived around the corner from us. She was telling me what a nice girl she is and that we should be friends. I actually remember the first time we hung out. We were in her bedroom, and I loved all her cute white furniture, she had the cutest little girl’s room. On her cute desk was a bunch of yellow books. As I got closer I saw that they were the Nancy Drew mystery series, ever since that day I was hooked on Nancy Drew (My dad would ask every time I was reading one “What did she draw?” ha ha very funny Pop). On her wall was hung a spoon rack which had some cool spoons from all over the world, and I loved them, so I began collecting spoons as well. Another time we were standing in the rain before school started, and there were these butterflies attempted to fly around in the rain and we were sad that the cute butterflies were getting all wet so we decided to catch some and let them dry off in our desks. Not such a bright idea. After they got all dry they flew out our tote trays and around the classroom. Our 5th grade teacher Mr. Cooper was NOT happy about that. Another time, we were in my backyard playing in the snow and Joy brought with her a candy bar (a Whatchamacallit) to share with me. It was probably the best candy bar ever and is still my favorite to this day!It was a sad day for me when Joy told me her family was moving. It was right before our 7th grade year and I was heartbroken! We tried to stay in touch, and I do remember going out to her new house and playing ping-pong in her unfinished basement and some other sleepovers that we had. But, as time went on and we got busy in our lives we didn’t see each other as much as we use to. Over the years we have always stayed in touch. We would exchange letters while we were in college, and thankfully e-mail was invented so that has helped as well. Joy now lives in Ireland with her husband and darling little girls. I’m so glad she has a blog so I can see all the fun things that she is up to.
Joy is by far one of the nicest people I have ever met; she has always been such a loving person. She would be friendly and try to include those around her and never gossiped. She is athletic and adventurous. She has a beautiful smile and makes you feel like a better person just being around her. She has a beautiful testimony and isn’t afraid to share it with people. I look up to her in so many ways and am so blessed to have her in my life.
Joy, I just want to thank you for always being there and for making the effort to stay in touch. I also want to thank you for introducing me to three of my favorite things: collecting spoons, Nancy Drew and Whatchamacallits! You’re the best!
1 comment:
Kathy- you are WAY too kind. That was the nicest thing. It brought back so many memories & some I'd forgotten. We'll be in Utah for the next couple years while Gordon goes to school- so if you plan a trip back here we'll have to meet up. It's such a comfort to know that no matter how long it's been a true friend will always be there. You're amazing- and a great example to me. I've always looked up to you and love to be in your company. Thanks for the things you said- again, very generous in your compliments. I have too many fond memories to include in this little space! Thanks for keeping in touch. You guys are always in our prayers. Love ya.
Post a Comment