Monday, September 29, 2008

Lake Powell Trip

I've lived in Utah all my life and have never been to Lake Powell. Again, this is a place I have always wanted to go and have finally made it there. We drove up from the Grand Canyon and met Ty's family on Thursday and spent the entire weekend on a house boat with 23 other people. I'm still trying to figure out how a total of 25 people can live on a houseboat, but it seemed to work out well.
Our first night there our immediate family took a boat ride to watch the sun set. It is so beautiful there and the rocks change color throughout the day, depending on where the sun is at. I think sunrise and sunset are the most beautiful times though.

Ty and his uncles are insane, or maybe its just when they are all together. They decided that they should participate in Man Games 2008, which consisted of: bolder rolling, cliff jumping, houseboat diving, sand hill climb & race, horse shoes, wake boarding, hitting golf balls against the rocks, tubing, and I can't forget fireball! I unfortunately didn't get pictures of all the events but below is a collage of the ones I did. If you look closely at the two first pictures one is taken at the bottom of the sand hill and the other from the top. Once they got to the top they would race down as fast as they could. The other pictures are of the golfing and the cliff diving. I have to give a shout out to our cousing Gabby who I think performed in all the "man events". She is amazing!

Just us chillin' on the back of the houseboat.
Ty and his Dad hiked up early one morning to watch the sunrise. If you look closely enough you can see me sleeping on top of the houseboat!

Below is another collage of random pictures from our trip. We had the best time! I loved sleeping out under the stars, I had forgotten just how amazing it is to lay under the stars and be able to see them all so clearly. We had some fun conversations about the universe and I learned a lot (although, I'm still a little shaky on where the little dipper is). Each night they would make the most amazing dinners and we would all hang out and play games and just enjoy each others company. I didn't get as much reading done as I thought, but my time was spent with much better pursuits.

Oh, I also have to mention that I will be adding a very funny video of Tyler's "Man Dive". Let's just say that Tyler isn't going to participate as an olympic diver! As soon as I get the video from Barry I will post it, but please don't think any less of my husband once you see it, we all have our weaknesses, right?

Thanks so much to everyone for making this the best trip to Powell, I will never forget it and I'm so grateful we could attend. I look forward to making this a yearly tradition!

5 comments:

Chris Stewart said...

I am so jealous! I love Lake Powell and I can't wait to go back. I'm going to make Scott take me one day... Anyways, sounds like you had an awesome time! Cool pics!

Miranda said...

I love the pictures!

Natalie said...

I am so jealous!! I havent been to Lake Powell in years I miss it so much! I am trying to talk Rob into buying us a boat(eventually) so we can start going down to Lake Powell- I am not having luck maybe you can help..... :)

thewestenskows.blogspot.com said...

Oh it looks like you guys had so much fun! I was SO jealous that we couldn't go! I heard all about it, I almost feel like I went!

Laurel Hart said...

I see that I really did miss out on a great D-club photoshoot, judging from the great pictures you took. Maybe some other year.