Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Ella Minnow Pea


ELLA MINNOW PEA By Mark Dunn
I just read this book on Sunday, it was so good. Below is a description of the book I got off Amazon.com. This book was recommended to me and I thought it sounded very interesting, and it was. Its been a long time since I've read such an original idea. I really got involved in the story and couldn't believe how just a little bit of "power" can make people lose their minds. It was also sad to see everyone go along with it when no one agreed with the High Council. You'll understand when you read the book what I'm talking about. Anyway, if you read it let me know what you'd think, I'd love to talk to someone about it. Tyler just thinks I'm crazy. =)
"Ella Minnow Pea is a girl living happily on the fictional island of Nollop off the coast of South Carolina. Nollop was named after Nevin Nollop, author of the immortal pangram (a sentence that contains all the letters of the alphabet)“The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.” Now Ella finds herself acting to save her friends, family, and fellow citizens from the encroaching totalitarianism of the island’s Council, which has banned the use of certain letters of the alphabet as they fall from a memorial statue of Nevin Nollop. As the letters progressively drop from the statue they also disappear from the novel. The result is both a hilarious and moving story of one girl’s fight for freedom of expression, as well as a linguistic tour de force sure to delight word lovers everywhere."

3 comments:

Nick, Chris, Livvy, Calli and Keira said...

By the way beyond awesome. Congrats you guys. You'll have a new little one before you know it. And I have heard that people who have recently adopted just suddenly get pregnant. Watch out! We love you guys. Tell ty to call nick and have him give nick your REAL email. NO PHONIES!

Mr & Mrs Hilton said...

Hey I think I am going to suggest this book for our next book club! Sounds interesting!

Jenny Hart Turk said...

I love reading, so I will have to check this book out. I'll let you know what I think when I'm done.